Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Holzters dairy farm

I really enjoyed going to the dairy farm.  I have never been to a dairy farm before or any farm for that matter.  I was surprised to find out how much technology went into farming.  I had no idea that they had all of the monitoring to see how much milk was being produced and how much they were being fed.  It was also interesting, to see all the equipment they had.  I had no idea they needed that much.  It was very organized and definitely takes a lot of work to run a farm.  It was also interesting to hear the nutrition side of farming.  I did not know that each cow had a different diet that they were put on to optimize milk production and keep them from getting fat.  I was surprised that they had two dietitians on staff that figured out their feed formula.  It was also very interesting how strict the inspectors were that came to the farm.  I did not know the regulations were so tight.  I do not think I would really like doing animal nutrition.  I think it might get to repetitive and boring for me.  It was good to see that nutrition was very important to the farmers and for their cows.  I learned a lot about the dairy farm that I never knew before.  The technology surprised me the most.  I did not think there would be so much computers involved and so much tracking of the animals. I had no idea that they tracked each and every animal that came in.  They tracked them in every way possible which was surprising.  

I think dietitians should go to all types of food plants and farms to see how food is really made.  I think it is important for us to know where our food comes from.  It also would allow us to see what is locally made and how it is made.  This way if people ever asked we would know or at least we could refer them to somebody who would.  We would also be supporting sustainability and the local economy if we could go to all the local farms and food producers in the area.  It would have a huge impact on our practice and maybe allow to practice better and help our clients more.  

I think going to a place that like this allows people to see exactly what it takes to produce that food.  You see how much work and money goes into producing a food like that.  I do not think most people realize what it takes to produce the food and how much time and how many people. This was just a small farm, I can't imagine what a big farm would entail.  There is just so much that is involved with farming and making sure everything is safe. 

1 comment:

  1. It is so great that you notice the dietitian in the farm. The dietitian guides farmers to produce the high quality of milk, thus making sure people can obtain the enough nutrients from the milk. The farm does really well and it keeps more scientifically even though it is only a family size dairy farm!

    ReplyDelete