Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

organic gardening workshop

Today was the organic gardening workshop. It was a 5 hour long workshop. I really enjoyed it. There was 6 different speakers who discussed a variety of topics. I learned about how to start a garden even if you have limited space at your house or apartment. It was interesting to see what you could do with a limited about space. You can garden in containers or in raised beds, which is something i plan on doing when I graduate and attempt my first try at gardening. Sustainability versus organic gardening was also talked about during the work shop. It was interesting to see that organic food is not always sustainable food. It was also interesting to learn about what makes up a good soil and how you can make it better by adding compost. During the workshop we got to see 5 different samples and grade them on what we thought was best. I did not get it correct but it was a great way to learn about what makes up a great soil. We also learned how to create compost piles and what it helps make the soil more rich with nutrients. I think I will use this in future practice when talking with clients and discussing ways to lower food costs or just being more eco-friendly. I think this will become very handy when working with clients. I look forward to gardening in the future and putting this knowledge to use. It was a great workshop and i learned so much that I did not know during it!

No comments:

Post a Comment